The Common Fangtooth is a type of deep-sea fish present in both games. It is named, rather obviously, for its prominent and sharp teeth.
"This fish's massive mouth has an upper jaw that stretches back behind its eyes and long, large teeth. It may not look like it, but it is related to the splendid alfonsino. It floats in the water waiting for prey, and when it finds some it opens its large mouth and skewers them with its long teeth. If its teeth become too big it cannot close its mouth fully."
Common Fangtooths can sometimes be seen near the entrances to the Caves in the Abyss (specifically the Secret and Crystal caves), and sometimes they can be seen floating about very close to the seafloor. They appear more often during the nighttime, but they can be seen during both day and night.
These fish can be seen in the second game around coordinates B-2, C-2, and C-3 in the Zahhab Region Depths.
- There is another species of Fangtooth that does not make an appearance of either Endless Ocean games, known as the Shorthorn Fangtooth (Anoplogaster Brachycera).
- Despite their fearsome appearance, these fish are actually very small and are harmless to humans.
- In real life, this fish is one of the species that lives deepest in the ocean, found as deep as 16 thousand feet (or 5 thousand meters).
- Despite their usual deep-sea habitat, the fish in the Fangtooth family have been known to be robust when compared to other deep-sea life, surviving for months at a time in surface aquariums that are significantly different from their normal environment.
- The Common Fangtooth is one of the few deep-sea fish that have swim bladders.